I live in the wonderful and volatile city of Joburg in South Africa. Sometimes I get the urge to write stuff down. This is where it lives.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Poem

My friend Tanya (who lives in England now) wrote a poem last year. I think it's one of the best poems I've ever read, by anyone. I have asked her if I can post it on my blog. I find it chilling and sad, written about her father who was dying of emphysema. Unfortunately she didn't make it back in time to see him before he passed last week.

The Colonel is Dying

The Colonel is dying
Hanging by a thread
Oxygen tank whispers:
"Soon you'll be dead."

The Colonel is dying
These his last days
I have to see him
Before the funeral plays

The Colonel is dying
They are playing his song
Must see the Colonel
Before the Colonel is gone

2 Comments:

Blogger Zapruder said...

So simple, so very good! I really like the opening verse, if one should like something like this.
M

8:28 pm

 
Blogger Timmee said...

would be really good if put to music

5:12 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home