I live in the wonderful and volatile city of Joburg in South Africa. Sometimes I get the urge to write stuff down. This is where it lives.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Life tax

I have accepted that every day I have to pay 'life tax'. It's just so much easier than trying to fight it. Like a friend of mine who gets all anxious about not giving a few coins to the car guard, or who gets so annoyed at beggars at intersections. His argument is "why don't they go out and get a job?" I'd like to see him in that situation - much easier said than done.

The squeegee guys used to make me mad - now I just accept them and either give them money or negotiate with them to leave me alone. It was so worth it when one thanked me one day... I asked him really nicely not to clean my window because I didn't have any money to give him - and he smiled and said I was a nice lady who knows how to talk to people.

1 Comments:

Blogger purplesime said...

Dori,
I think you deserve to be tagged.

purplesimon out...

2:16 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home